Site Corsan

Timeline

The first public water supply systems in Rio Grande do Sul were created in the second half of the XIX century. It is the precursor stage of sanitation, beginning in Porto Alegre (1864), Rio Grande (1877) and Pelotas (1913).

The new stage would be marked by the fact that the state began working to solve sanitary problems through the creation of the Sanitation Committee linked to the Public Works Secretariat. Its purpose was to guide, coordinate and supervise the implementation of water and sewage systems by the municipalities. Sanitarian Saturnino de Brito was hired to work on several projects and conducted studies on water supply and sanitary sewage systems Dom Pedrito, Santa Maria, Uruguaiana, Alegrete, Itaqui, Jaguarão, Cachoeira do Sul and São Leopoldo.

In 1936, the former Sanitation Committee was transformed in the Sanitation and Urbanism Office of the Public Works Secretariat. For the first time, the municipal governments entered into partnerships that granted the state body direct responsibility for the expansion of existing systems or implementation of the service. As a result, state-level sanitation planning began by determining priorities, thus solving many critical water outage problems.

Companhia Riograndense de Saneamento was created on December 21, 1965, and officially installed on March 28, 1966, its official date of foundation. The Company took on the challenge of improving the quality of life of the population in Rio Grande do Sul. The image of the water bearer, who supplied the populations at the beginning of the center in a precarious way, has definitely become history.

Corsan currently serves around 6 million people, equivalent to two-thirds of the state’s population. It operates water supply systems in 317 municipalities in Rio Grande do Sul and, at the same time, sewage collection and treatment systems in 303 municipalities.
The Company’s milestones include:

1966

1968

1973

1974

1982

1984

1987

1991

1998

2000

2005

2006

2009

2010

2021